It is vital students can identify the use of mathematics within real life. To support this process it is equally important students have a solid understanding of numeracy and can apply these skills within their world. Apart from classroom lessons we try to create further opportunities for our students to enjoy and be inspired by mathematics:
- Numeracy puzzles are included on the rolling PowerPoint which all students have access to during form times.
- All students are subscribed to www.mymaths.co.uk which has a selection of engaging numeracy based games, activities and revision tasks. These can be accessed anywhere with internet access, at home, at school and even on holiday!
- Sessions are available throughout the year for parents to receive advice and support on how to help their child with mathematics. These include sessions on how to use online resources effectively to support their child and explanations to parents of modern techniques used in the classroom to teach numeracy skills.
- For more confident mathematicians, Cherry Willingham Community School also provides a series of opportunities which require more advanced numerical skills. The school enters the United Kingdom Mathematics Trust (www.ukmt.org.uk)Individual and Team Challenges, that provide competitions for Years 7, 8 and 9.
- Year 8 students also have the opportunity to enter and participate in the Lincolnshire Mathematics Scheme as an extra-curricular activity.
- In March 2014 we will be hosting the a Year 10 regional competition on behalf of the Further Mathematics Support Program.
- Additional mathematics support and revision sessions are available after-school for year 10 and 11 students as they work towards their GCSE examinations.